Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Mardi Gras Opposite Day


Mardi Gras is the day for eating. Except that this year it also seems to have fallen on Opposite Day meaning that today I ate nothing. Let me tell you, I was not a fan of this day-combo.


The day was working up to be quite the feasting day. I had invited a bunch of my friends and their littles to a Mardi Gras party, and planned to make quite the green, gold and purple menu to appease all palates. Buttermilk pancakes, blueberry pancakes, savory green pancakes, gluten-free banana bread, green grapes, purple grapes, golden pears, bananas, cheeeeese, bread, crackers, champagne and OJ for mimosas and the traditional king cake. I stayed up til 2am (not that abnormal because I'm no stranger to working at the last minute) baking and making homemade play dough for the kids to take home. It was going to be so fun, I thought.

Well, another plan was in the works since I woke at at 5am to say good morning to the toilet bowl. And so the day began. The number of times that I hugged the toilet is in the double digits...all while Ryan cried his loudest and then tried to reach in. I may or may not have take a quick nap on the bathroom floor. It was just so comfortable!  I also don't think that spending the day throwing up and getting up close and personal with the porcelain throne is the best way to teach your toddler to not play with the toilet. 
It was kind of annoying to stare at this all day
Fortunately, Chris was able to work from home in the afternoon and take care of Ryan. I could hear the angels singing! I could finally make my bathroom trips without a terrified toddler.
Ryan keeping a close eye on the raisins from the king cake with his name on them

Pardon me while I sip on my Mardi Gras 2013 haterade...oops, I mean Gatorade.

6 comments :

  1. Oh nooooo! So sorry to hear about that :( but at least Christ was able to work from home... and by the way, that is one gorgeous cake plate. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All better now! And my mother-in-law actually bought it at the Home Goods near Costco in Chicago! So maybe you could get one :)

      Delete
  2. Oh dear :/ Feel better, Katrina! Gatorade has been my best friend these days as well... Praying for your recovery. God bless you!

    (and hilarious typo in Tess' comment ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling much, much better! Thank you for your prayers!

      Delete
  3. We were so bummed, and now that I know how much work you did... I say you deserve a Mardi Gras re-do, but with someone else doing the work! Glad you're feeling better today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I enjoyed all the party prep :) and hmmm maybe I'll have Chris use some cake mix to bake a cake on Sunday? That could work.

      Delete