Thursday, September 18, 2014

Free Printable! You Will Set the World on Fire


Two things to know about me: one, painting is like a glass of wine for me (once I get over the fear of the blank canvas, that is) and two, I over-complicate things.

I don't do it nearly enough, but painting really relaxes me. Well, if I stick to very simple things, painting really relaxes me. Complete concentration on pressing my paintbrush to paper just so seems to help me breathe easier when life gets overwhelming. Psychology isn't my specialty, but I remember that I coincidentally read an article soon after I had painted for the first time in quite some time when Ryan was ten months or so old. It was kind of an ah-ha! moment because I had recognized that I did feel really happy after doing so. I don't remember the source, so here is the oh-so-reliable (wink, wink) Wikipedia. It has something to do with flow.

Lately, I have really been wanting to nest. No, I'm not expecting a baby, I'm just ready to finally hang things on our walls. I'm ready to feel settled in our home! I'm a very slow mover and decorator. I hung our favorite movie posters last week after four months of George and Mary Bailey being propped up against the wall.

Since I've taken thousands and thousands of photos, you would think that I would take advantage of the fact that I have plenty of material to hang on our bare walls. I'm picturing a beautiful gallery wall like the ones on Pinterest. However, being the over-complicating person that I am, the notion of creating artwork of quotes myself for our home has furiously devoured me, and I insist on taking way too long to slowly make just the right painted quote when I could definitely find something prettier on Etsy to buy. I love everything my fellow Ohio girl, Jolie, hand letters for her shop, Brim Papery. I really want this one because have you seen my housekeeping skills?

Fortunately (or unfortunately), I can share whatever I come up with for our home with you! My dear readers. Maybe you are on a budget, but want to dress up your walls or need a cute gift idea. Maybe you just need a photo to test if your color printer is working correctly. Whatever the reason, it's yours for the downloading (and printing ... and hanging).

Here is my first project ... that will go into my teetering stack of items to be hung. This quote, "Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire," from St. Catherine of Siena is kind of our motto if you'll have it for Chris' graduate school - he even wrote about it in his application! I wanted something soft and watercolor-y (wow, can you tell I'm not an artist?) in my handwriting. I'm pretty rusty and googled way too many editing tutorials, but I'm pleased with how it turned out. If you like it, I hope you download the free printable and use it in your home!

Make sure you download the file rather than just saving the image because there is better resolution in the files. I made a 5x7 and an 8x10. I printed mine on an off-white linen cardstock. Enjoy!

Click here for the 5x7

Click here for the 8x10

Also - this is the first time I'm using Google Drive, so please let me know if it isn't working. Many thanks!

14 comments :

  1. This is such a gift! St. Catherine is the patron Saint of the school where I teach! Thank you for sharing this -- it's so beautiful in its simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, how perfect! She's a pretty neat saint. Thank you for your kind compliment!

      Delete
  2. Oh goodness... make more please! I absolutely adore it. Jon and I are being a little lame and for our 5th anniversary (wood!) we're buying all the frames we need/want for the house so this will definitely be on my walls somewhere soonish! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, if you say so, ha! Wow, five! I remember when we all looked at your wedding photos with Elliott :)

      Delete
  3. This is really beautiful!! I have always thought about making something like this with different saint quotes, but no artistic talent here! You really have something here and they look wonderful and would make wonderful gifts!! Nicely done and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I have quotes printed out all over the apartment - Mother Theresa, Bible verses, even a quote from Picasso :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty. I have to do a monthly gift for my secret sister and the 5x7 in a little frame will be a perfect little gift. I will have to print one out for myself too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! I am terrible at decorating (we've been in our house 3 1/2 years and I have hung a few picture frames), but I definitely want to download this and keep it for when I get inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks awesome! Could you share in a post how you made it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My very favorite quote. We're building a new house...this is getting printed, framed, and hung in a very special spot next spring! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete